If you are married and your spouse is battling an addiction to drugs or alcohol, it can drive a wedge between you and your loved one. They may become emotionally withdrawn as they spend more time using and abusing to fuel their addiction and the trust between you may start to fade as they fail to follow through on their promises of sobriety.
Though, individuals battling addiction can find lasting recovery. And, with the right help from family addiction rehab specialists, you can work towards saving your marriage while helping them heal.
If your husband or wife is currently battling addiction issues, it’s important to find support from experienced professionals and learn how to cope during this challenging time.
5 Ways to Support Your Husband or Wife with Addiction Issues
1. Empower yourself with information. If your spouse is battling drug or alcohol dependency, you may start to feel powerless as they fall deeper into a life of addiction. While you can’t control the situation, or their behavior, you can control how you respond to the situation. By researching the typical signs and symptoms of addiction and the treatment options available, you can better understand the nature of their condition and what to expect.
2. Take care of yourself. When a loved one is battling an addiction issue, it’s normal to want to do everything in your power to take care of them and help them on their journey to recovery. Though, it’s important to remember that you need to take care of yourself to have the mental and physical energy to help others. Be sure to stick to a reliable sleep routine, avoid fast food and processed foods and take time for yourself. Your health is important too!
3. Explore Christian-based rehab counseling. If you and your partner are committed to living a Christian-based life, you can find help from addiction recovery specialists who are well-versed in helping you both strengthen your relationships with Christ. Faith-based addiction recovery programs often combine evidence-based addition treatment programs with pastoral care for a holistic approach to recovery.
4. Keep a prayer journal. During challenging times, you can find hope and support by turning to prayer and teachings from the bible. Keep a journal of inspirational bible verses and spiritual passages with you so you can refer to them during challenging times.
5. Find addiction rehab facilities that offer family addiction services. Addiction doesn’t discriminate. It affects the addict and their entire network of friends and family members. Many addiction rehab facilities offer a comprehensive program of addiction treatment services that provide Christian-based marriage counseling and family therapy services to help everyone heal.
Healing Families – Mind, Body and Spirit
If you or someone you care about is caught in the bondage of drugs or alcoholism, there is no better time to seek help than today. Christian Rehab Network enables families to find faith-based drug rehab programs based in Biblical truth and staffed by credentialed therapists and experienced pastors. Contact our team of Christian admissions specialists by dialing (877) 310.9545. Our team is happy to pray with you or discuss your concerns, 24/7.