The season of Advent is an ideal time to focus on preparing yourself spiritually: for the coming of Christ, and for the recovery road that lies ahead of you. Prayer equips us for life’s journey, wherever that journey may take us. This Advent season as you pray about your journey, invite God to help you succeed in each area of your life: personal growth, physical health, relationships, career trajectories, and addiction recovery.
Scriptures for Prayer About Addiction Recovery
If you feel “stuck” in your prayers and need a new approach to your daily prayer journey, begin by praying through scripture. God offers help and hope in his Word, and scripture tells us that his Word will not return void—but will accomplish that for which it was purposed. (Isaiah 55:11) Scriptures to consider as you pray this Christmas season:
Prayers that God would allow you to see the dangers of your addiction.
- “There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.” (Prov. 14:12)
Prayers for the ability to abstain from alcohol and drugs.
- “Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.” (Prov. 20:1)
- “Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.” (Eph. 6:10)
Prayers for freedom from the bondage of addiction.
- “If the Son therefore shall make you free, you shall be free indeed.” (John 8:36)
Prayers to embrace your new life in Christ in the coming year.
- “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation: old things are passed away; behold, all things are becoming new.” (2 Cor. 5:17)
Prayers to communicate well, forgive others, and work toward mending the broken relationships that result from addiction.
- “Instead, be kind and tenderhearted to one another, and forgive one another, as God has forgiven you through Christ.” (Eph. 4:32)
- “Remember this, dear friends! Everyone must be quick to listen, but slow to speak and slow to become angry.” (James 1:19)
This Advent season, may you find hope and peace in knowing that the God of the universe walks with you throughout addiction recovery and beyond. To learn more about how journeying with Jesus during rehab, call 877.310.9545 to speak with our free, Christian-based treatment consultants.