This type of thinking can get in the way of your recovery, however. Remember, committing to rehab is a positive and healthy decision so you can achieve sobriety and regain control of your life.
Here are a few more reminders why you should never feel embarrassed about seeking help:
- You’re not alone. Millions of people are struggling with some form of drug or alcohol addiction. The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence notes that one in every 12 adult Americans abuse alcohol or have a severe dependence. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 23.5 million Americans ages 12 and older need treatment for a substance use disorder – and yet only 11.2 percent receive proper treatment at a specialty facility.
- Addiction affects everyone. Addiction does not discriminate and can impact men and women, young and old, rich and poor, all races, all religions and all walks of life. While drug use is highest among 18 to 20 year olds, drug use is increasing among people in their 50s and 60s, according to a SAMHSA survey.
- Addiction is a chronic disease. Becoming addicted to drugs or alcohol is not a sign of weakness, nor is it a symptom of questionable morals. Prolonged use of addictive substances can change the structure of the brain, making it difficult to control impulses or focus on anything other than using drugs.
- Your genes are to blame. Genetics play a major role along with such environmental factors as family life, upbringing and peer influences. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, genetics accounts for 40% to 60% of your predisposition to addiction.
- Seeking help means you’re strong and smart. Overcoming a drug or alcohol addiction alone is nearly impossible. You should feel proud (not embarrassed) for taking a brave step to take back control of your health and get the help you need to heal safely.
Benefits of Seeking Addiction Treatment
You should never feel embarrassed about making the decision to seek help for your own addiction. It’s likely the biggest and most important choice of your life. Let us lead the way. To learn more about our Christian rehab, call today: 877-310-9545.